#LeanBulk Style Spaghetti and Turkey Meatballs
I’ve cooked pasta in some form or another a few hundred times by now, and it’s almost always different based off preference and usually what ingredients are on hand. This isn’t a dish I recommend as a staple fat loss meal. But for someone lean bulking, this is very high protein, complex carbs, healthy fats, and full of nutrients. If you consciously skip added cheese, use lean ground meat e.g. 90%,93%, or 97% vs. 70%-80% this alone greatly will reduce fat. You can also use a higher ratio of meat & veggies to sauce and use a white pasta alternative with some of the healthier options I mention below to increase fiber, protein, micronutrients and decrease the glycemic index of the pasta. Anyway, this was my Semi-Cheat” meal for the day, and I think it turned out alright:
- 1lb 93% Jennie-O Italian Seasoned Lean Ground Turkey (90-97% ground lean Beef or Turkey ok)
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2c Italian Breadcrumbs (May substitute with Oats, Rice, or home-made breadcrumbs)
- 1 box pasta of your choice (I recommend Multigrain, Whole Grain, Wheat, or even “Protein Plus” by Barilla.)
- 1 can 15oz Tomato Sauce (Use less sauce to reduce overall sugar. Trying adding more vegetables in place e.g. Tomatoes)
- 3-5 chopped Roma Tomatoes
- 1 chopped Onion
- 1c chopped Mushroom
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic powder
- Italian herb seasoning (can use fresh chopped basil, oregano, parsley, or a dry herb mix)
- Optional: Parmesan cheese mixed into ground turkey meatballs and as a condiment. Additional veggies like spinach, zucchini, or corn.
Step 1) Prepare & cook Meatballs:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, 1 beaten egg, 1/3c chopped onion, 1/2c breadcrumbs, a pinch of Italian herb dry seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper.
- Mix together well by hand, roll into evenly sized round balls, roll meatballs in a shallow dish or plate with breadcrumbs to evenly coat outside.
- Pan Fry Medium/High 15 minutes with olive oil until golden brown on all sides. Cover for an additional 10 minutes over medium heat until ready for sauce.
Step 2) Prepare and cook Sauce
- Pan Fry in olive oil over Medium heat chopped onions, mushrooms, until golden in color, then add chopped Roma tomatoes to the mix.
- Add salt/pepper, fry veggies together an additional 5 minutes, then add can of tomato sauce, a pinch of garlic powder, and Italian herb seasoning cooking with medium heat.
- Add cooked meatballs into the sauce mix, cover, reduce heat to Medium/Low, and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Step 3) Boil noodles
- During the final minutes of the sauce cooking, add pasta to boiling water.
- Add a pinch of salt with 1Tbsp of Olive oil to prevent noodles from sticking together.
- Cook 7-8 minutes over Medium/High until noodles are tender.
Step 4) Done, Eat, YUM
Double up on ingredients to increase servings. This is something I like to cook in a large batch and reheat leftovers for later. Some argue it even taste better the next day after the sauce has had time to fully marinate overnight. This isn’t exactly something you want as a staple dish when trying to lose fat. But the macro’s are acceptable for most lean bulking diets depending on the meal. I would consider this a “Semi-Cheat” meal. A Semi-cheat is one that doesn’t contain empty calories, always contacts sufficient micro and macro nutrients uses substituted “healthier” ingredients, but tends to be higher in 1-2 macro nutrients.
For example, this meal is high in protein, healthy fats, nutrients, and complex carbs. This is achieved by using a “lean” ground meat such as 93% lean ground turkey vs 70-80% lean beef, MUCH higher in overall fat and saturated fat. Regular pasta noodles are high on the glycemic index, and stripped of micronutrients, depending on the type/brand used. Some contain higher quality starchy carbs with fortified vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein with a lower GI rating. It may not be a perfect staple complex carb choice on a fat loss diet, but if you are going to go off the diet or cheat to have pasta, it can be done “cleaner” than simply going all out.
I recently spoke with SimplyShredded.com for a 2nd follow up interview. I discuss topics such as dieting, weight training, supplements, cardio, and my trademarked ccKeto (carb cycling / ketogenic) diet. You can checkout the full interview by clicking below.
Body Dysmorphia (BDD) Body Dysmorphia Affects around 1.7-2.4% of the population. Any personal trainer that has trained hundreds to thousands of clients, has definitely trained a few with BDD. More than likely without even knowing. One of the biggest frustrations for those dealing with BDD, (including trainers) is that no end goal ever is […]
Latest Zhasni Motivation Bodybuilding Video- HARD WORK: Mr. Zhasni has been making best highlight and compilation style bodybuilding videos for the last decade. Watching his content is a great form of “pre-workout”. Give it a watch!
Here is a progress shot of one of my Military clients Jake. He’s been an online client for a while now and he’s one of the hardest working clients I’ve had the pleasure to work with. The majority of his dieting and training under me has been with limited food choices and resources, on a strict schedule […]
I just received this package containing Thrive supplements so I could give them a try and review. So far I’ve taken all 3 products. The Thrive Capsules, Thrive Lifestyle mix, and the Thrive DFT patches. Like all products I’m sent to try I try to remain as unbiased as possible. Just about anything you take […]
697 Protein Powders Reviewed: I was recently sent this to share on Apex by Reviews.com. Its very informative and much effort/time was put into this. Enjoy: We inspected the ingredients of 697 flavors of protein powders, and only eight of them were truly risk-free. The sports nutrition industry has a history littered with lawsuits, misleading […]